German Rye Bread Recipe from german rye bread recipe , image source: www.quick-german-recipes.com
- Rye Sourdough:
- 100 g rye flour
- 100 g warm water
- 2 g rye sourdough starter/mother
- Wheat Sourdough:
- 100 g bread flour
- 100 g water
- 2 g sourdough starter (I used rye, but wheat is great too)
- Main Dough:
- 170 g rye flour
- 120 g bread flour
- 120 g warm water
- 10 g salt
- 15 g molasses or honey
- 15 g butter
- Prep the rye sourdough by mixing 100 g rye flour, 100 g warm water and 2 g rye sourdough starter. Let proof for 20-22 hours at room temperature.
- Prep the wheat sourdough by mixing 100 g bread flour, 100 g water and 2 g sourdough starter (wheat sourdough if you have it. I don’t so I used rye sourdough starter). Let proof for 20-22 hours at room temperature.
- The next day, mix the sourdough starters with the rest of the ingredients for the main dough. Mix with hands or a strong wooden spoon/spatula for several minutes until everything is evenly mixed. You won’t be able to knead the dough like a typical bread.
- Cover the dough and let it proof for 2 hours at room temperature.
- After that, put the dough on a well floured surface and measure out pieces that are about 90-95 grams (or just divide it into 9 equal pieces). Form each piece into a round roll and dust with plenty of rye flour.
- Place the formed rolls crease-side up on a baking linen or non-fuzzy towel/tea towel that’s dusted with rye flour. Cover lightly with another cloth and let proof for 2 hours at room temperature, or 10-12 hours in the refrigerator.
- When you’re about ready to bake, pre-heat oven to 250°C/480°F. Place a metal tray at the bottom of the oven for that you can pour in boiling water for steam later on (or use your preferred method for steam). I have some volcanic rock on my tray to help make the steam finer (not necessary)
- When ready to bake, turn over each roll so the crease is on the bottom and transfer to a baking sheet. Cut a criss-cross pattern across the top of each roll with a bread lame or knife right before putting in oven.
- Put in oven in middle rack and pour in a cup or so of boiling water into the steam tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 250°F with steam. Then, remove the steam tray and bake another 10 minutes at 210°C.
- Remove and let cool on a rack.
Gallery of √ German Rye Bread Recipe
Related Posts for √ German Rye Bread Recipe
The Half Baked Housewife EASY PEASY RECIPE Zucchini Bread from homemade zucchini bread recipe , image source: thehalfbakedhousewife.blogspot.com Ingredients 8 servings 3 eggs 1 cup vegetable oil 2 cup granulated sugar 2 cup self-rising flour 1 packages Instant Pudding (flavored) 2 cup ground zucchini 1 cup chopped nuts (optional) 1 ground cinnamon Steps 1 hour You will need: Preheat oven to 350°F On […]
Bread and Butter Pickles Recipe Sweet Pickles Recipe from quick bread and butter pickles recipe , image source: whiteonricecouple.com Ingredients 3 1/2 lb pickling cucumbers ( about 14 small to medium ) 2 1/2 cup vinegar 2 1/2 cup granulated sugar 1/4 cup Ball Bread & Butter pickling mix Steps Cut ends off cucumbers. Cut into 1/2″ slices. Prepare […]
Easy Navajo Fry Bread Recipe Sweet and savory snacks from easy fry bread recipe , image source: www.pinterest.com Ingredients 4-5 cups flour (use half AP and half self rising) 2 tsp baking powder (fresh) 1/2 tsp salt 1 & 1/2 to 2 cups lukewarm water Oil for frying (I used Canola) Steps Sift the dry ingredients together in a […]